Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Bienvenidos

hola


welcome to my blog!


Although I’m pretty new to this sort of thing, I hope that I can keep all of those who are reading this informed on my travels, insights, and revelations, as I spend the next couple of months living outside of Quito, Ecuador.



I know this is a bit late for my first entry, but I decided it would be better to set a foundation and get something posted.


For those of you that don’t know, and for those of you that may need a little reminding; I, Andrew White, am currently living in Tumbaco, Ecuador- a small rural parish of the country’s capital, Quito.


About a year ago, I knew as much about Ecuador as the typical American- that it was somewhere to my south, and plotted between the Amazon rainforest and the Andes mountains. But, over the past few months, my connection and intrigue for the 2nd smallest country in South America has flourished more than my poorly chosen words can describe.


Since this past January I set out to find a way to fill the void I can’t seem to shake when I think about what I want to do for the rest of my life.


Sure, I declare the pre-med route as the path to my most desired future, but, as straight forward or determined as this may appear at face-value, it’s actually probably one of the most vague things I could tell people about myself. In addition to encompassing another 4+ years of rigorous schooling that will test me unlike anything I have encountered thus far in my life, the plethora of options available in this field covers anything from podiatry to neurosurgery…


Thus, as I have meandered through my educational career, I’ve tried to keep all of my options open, testing and discovering what I truly enjoy, while trying to avoid that which may be better left to someone else.


Of the things that fall under the category of “medicine” that I have found to enjoy, one of the most fulfilling has been volunteering my time to those who need it most. After pursuing this desire from places ranging from: down the street at Porter hospital, across the pond at a Parkinson’s association in españa, or at a clinic in Guatemala, I refined my passions to focus my attention and abilities on those from underprivileged, and underserved communities. Six months ago, I decided if there were a time in my life that I could apply myself to this desire, it was, if not had to be, now.


So, after a process that took much deliberation, scores of e-mails to clinics, establishing ties with volunteer coordinators, advising, finalizing, and almost every other formal-sounding gerund that I know- I find myself here, in the Tumbaco valley of that little country I hardly knew nothing about one June ago.


Future entries, above all, will hopefully present a more candid look at the time I spend on the Southern half of the globe; keeping those I care about most up to date on my adventures, and in every way possible, with me along the way.


Hasta luego,

drew

No comments:

Post a Comment